Indian Journal of Pain

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2014  |  Volume : 28  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 173--176

Corticosteroid injection versus percutaneous release surgery in treatment of trigger fingers


Aref Hosseinian Amiri1, Fatemeh Shirani2, Mohammad Hosein Kariminasab3 
1 Department of Rheumatology, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
2 Department of Rheumatology, Rasoul Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
3 Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran

Correspondence Address:
Aref Hosseinian Amiri
Department of Rheumatology, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari
Iran

Background: Trigger finger is a common problem encountered in rheumatologic practice that causes a triggering or locking that may produce an uncomfortable sensation. There are various methods of treatment ranging from conservative management to surgical release. Aim: To determine effectiveness of corticosteroid injection and percutaneous release in terms of symptomatic relief, patient satisfaction and complications. Materials and Methods: At this prospective study, 50 patients who presented with trigger finger Grade 2 and 3 were randomized into 2 groups. One group received corticosteroid injection and in the other group, percutaneous release was done. These patients were then assessed weekly over a period of 6 weeks and their progress noted. Results: Thirty cases (60%) were females and 20 (40%) were males. The age of patients at this study was 40-65 years (mean: 48). Twenty-three (46%) were manual workers, 17 (34%) were semi-professionals and 10 (20%) were housewives. Most of the patients had involvement of dominant hand (62%); non-dominant hand was involved in 38% of the cases. The most common presenting symptom was pain with triggering. In both groups, significant improvement in pain and triggering occurs in the first 2 weeks but there was improvement in pain and triggering in the corticosteroid group after 2 weeks. In terms of swelling of the digits, no difference was noted during the course of the treatment in the two groups. The corticosteroid group of patients had a complication rate of 6% while the percutaneous group had 18% complication rate. A total of 12 patients had recurrence (recurrence rate: 24%); 5 (41.6%) cases in the first or corticosteroid group and 7 (58.3%) cases in the surgery group. Conclusion: The group of patients treated with corticosteroid had better relief from pain and triggering and had a lower complication rate. Recurrence was equal in both the groups.


How to cite this article:
Amiri AH, Shirani F, Kariminasab MH. Corticosteroid injection versus percutaneous release surgery in treatment of trigger fingers .Indian J Pain 2014;28:173-176


How to cite this URL:
Amiri AH, Shirani F, Kariminasab MH. Corticosteroid injection versus percutaneous release surgery in treatment of trigger fingers . Indian J Pain [serial online] 2014 [cited 2021 Jan 24 ];28:173-176
Available from: https://www.indianjpain.org/article.asp?issn=0970-5333;year=2014;volume=28;issue=3;spage=173;epage=176;aulast=Amiri;type=0